UCU MEMBERS FIGHTING BACK ACROSS THE UK
UCU branches across the UK are fighting to defend jobs and conditions as the Covid-19 crisis continues to hit education sectors hard. Below are a few examples, including ways for you to show your support.
Examples from across the UK:
- University of East London UCU is fighting compulsory redundancies and unmanageable workloads and are currently balloting for industrial action. Please tweet your support #saveUEL @EastLondonUCU
- Northumbria University UCU is balloting for action to secure for a safe and fair workplace. Staff have been forced back to face-to-face teaching with inadequate safety measures on campus. Please tweet your support: @UCUNUbranch @EqualityUCUNor1.
- Northern Ireland further education college branches are in dispute over a below-inflation pay offer and attacks on conditions and trade union rights.
- Goldsmiths UCU are voting in a ballot for action over a restructure which will cut investment in staff and intensify workloads. Details here and you can tweet support to @GoldsmithsUCU
- University of Brighton UCU has voted for strike action to fight redundancies in IT support. Solidarity tweets appreciated: @BrightonUCU
- Heriot-Watt University UCU voted to strike over job cuts and their campaign has pressured the university into reaching a settlement that rules out the threat of compulsory redundancies.
- Birmingham City University UCU members are demanding a move to online teaching and are prepared to take industrial action as shown by an impressive 60% turnout in their consultative ballot.
- Universities of Birmingham and Warwick are also about to open ballots for action to move all non-essential working online.
- University of Roehampton UCU members are fighting job cuts and worsening conditions and are currently asking members to show support for action in an e-ballot consultation. Sign the petition and tweet your support: @VRoehampton and write to Jean-Noel Ezingeard the VC.
- University of Central Lancashire UCU is resisting compulsory redundancies, and has lodged a dispute and an e-ballot consulting members on industrial action opens next week. Please send messages of support to our rep Michael McKrell.
- Solent University UCU is seeking your support and solidarity after the university announced redundancies of up to 18.5% of its staff at risk of redundancy with dismissal letters planned to be sent just before Christmas. Tweet: @ucu_solent.